Local First Utah appreciates our community-minded volunteers, who support local in their everyday lives, and donate their time thereby enhancing so much of what we do as an organization. There are a variety of ways to volunteer with Local First Utah, whether it is on a regular basis or for one time special events.
Event-Based Volunteer Opportunities:
Volunteering at one of our annual events provides you with an opportunity to meet people in our community that are interested in the Local First movement. These events require a commitment that is typically less than four hours in length.
- Celebrate the Bounty – Local First Utah's annual fundraiser, Celebrate the Bounty is held each October.
- SLC Neighborhood Business Conference – Held each Spring, Local First Utah works in conjunction with the Salt Lake City Office of Economic Development and the Vest Pocket Business Coalition to host a conference tailored to the needs of local businesses.
- Chef's Challenge – An annual cooking challenge held the first week of July at the Downtown Farmers' Market, the Chef's Challenge highlights local foods and local chefs.
- Other yet to be determined day of events.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
These opportunities require some commitment to a schedule on either a weekly or monthly basis, as well as an interview with Local First staff prior to training.
- Public Outreach and Tabling – Through the Spring and Summer, Local First Utah is frequently invited to a number of farmers' markets, expos and outdoor events. Our tabling volunteers work as ambassadors for Local First Utah at these public events. Many of the outreach opportunities occur on evenings or weekends.
- Administrative Assistance – There are many opportunities to work directly with Local First Utah staff, providing the administrative support necessary for us to accomplish our mission of educating the public. Schedules can be tailor-made, but we typically ask for a 5 to 10 hour a week commitment for in-office volunteers.
Thank You to Our 2011 Volunteers!
We are a small organization with a big presence, and we would be nothing without our volunteers! A huge THANK YOU to each and every one of you who have lended a helping hand at our events throughout 2011!