Imagine this: If we all shift just 10% of our spending to local businesses, on a yearly basis, $1.3 billion will stay in our Utah economy!* That number may seem astronomical, but it’s within our reach.
That is the goal behind Shift Your Spending Week, which launches on Friday, November 29th and runs until Friday, December 6th. A great way to start your own personal shift in spending is to shift 10% of your holiday shopping towards locally owned business.
On November 29th, as the holiday shopping season begins, Local First Utah gift tags and gift wrap stickers will be available at participating businesses across the state. Use these tags to let your friends and family know that you have thoughtfully purchased their gift from a locally owned business.
*According to Utah Study Series, the latest in local data from Civic Economics.
Top Ten Ideas to Shift Your Spending this Holiday Season
1. Support local artists! Check out local galleries or pottery studios for unique, handmade gifts.
2. Spend a day in a neighborhood business district. Stroll through your nearest cluster of locally-owned businesses. In Salt Lake City, check out www.onlyinsaltlake.com for detailed neighborhood descriptions.
3. Give the gift of fine dining! Many locally owned restaurants provide gift certificates which can be used year round.
4. Shop locally, online. Many local retailers and manufacturers also have a convenient online option. There is no need to send the money to an out-of-state megalith.
5. Browse and buy at a your local bookstore.
6. Give an educational adventure. Buy memberships to local museums, gardens, zoos or aviaries.
7. Make a gift basket filled with Utah's Own products.
8. Give the gift of experience: buy certificates to a locally owned spa, yoga studio or cooking school.
9. Donate to a local non-profit on behalf of a like-minded friend.
10. Winter markets abound throughout the state allowing craftspeople and artisans to sell their hand-crafted goods directly to the public. Pick up a one of a kind gift at a market near you!